Monday, October 7, 2013

Shoes And Feet


Shoes And Feet

One of the things to realize before going out to buy running shoes is that if you'd run without shoes, your feet could compensate very well for the so-called pronation and supination of the feet. Westerners are not used to run or walk outside without shoes. I am no exception. The idea of running on the asphalt or dirt roads and dodging all the trash on the streets makes me shiver. That is why I use running shoes, I want to protect my feet. Running on the beach or grass is fine barefoot. A fact is that shoes cause lots of problems to the feet. Think about it, everyone has their unique body structure including their legs and feet, but we are all sold the same shoes, and there is not so much to select from (except all the wonderful colors). The shoes are the most important piece of equipment for a runner. If you walk or run just a little you don't notice how vital is the correct positioning of the feet. I see people walking on the streets with very strong pronation but they don't complain, as long as they don't start to run, that's when it will hit them. Some people have naturally very nicely aligned legs and feet and they almost never suffer from problems on their feet. And then there are the rest (the majority) of us. Meet Lasse, a pronator.

Figure 1: Footscan
First thing to do is to find someone who can scan your feet to find out what type of feet you have. If there are no scanners in town then ask your friend or the shoe salesman to look from behind when you jog. I am a pronator which means my ankles turn inward when I walk or run. Last time I got new running shoes ten years ago the arc of my foot was higher and I did not pronate that much. Nowadays I am so-called flat footed. I need support to the arcs of my feet to adjust them outward to a more aligned position.

When you try on the running shoes, try them on properly: make sure your heel is as far back as possible. You can then try with your fingers that there is space between the toes and front of the shoe, at least 1 cm. If you have your own insoles, use them when you try on the shoes. I buy at least one shoe size bigger running shoes than I buy normal daily use shoes. I haven't lost many toe nails so far. If the shoe does not feel comfortable when you first put it on, don't take it, things won't get better when you start running with the shoe. One tip: don't lace the shoes too tight or too loose. Especially when running long the feet will swell sideways and you can end up even with a broken metatarsal by lacing too tight.

The running shoes last from 600 km up to 1000 km running. After that they can be used for walking or gym practice, but don't run with them anymore. The midsole of the shoe can endure a certain amount of use until it eventually droops down and loses it's supporting characteristics. If you run with worn-out shoes you will just risk injuring yourself.

Figure 2: I will run more than 2000 km with these bad boys.
My choice of shoe for marathon practice and racing has been Asics Kayano. My shoe philosophy is that a lighter shoe does not make me faster, but a shoe (whatever the weight) that allows me to train without injury will make me faster. Asics Kayano is no miracle shoe for me: to be able to run with them I need orthotics (custom made insoles) in the shoe to compensate some problems that arise from the relation with the shoe and my feet.


Orthotics

I had problems with my Achilles Tendons until I first made myself supports under my heels, then I moved on to gel supports. They eased the pain but did not cure me. Since the day I got my first custom made insoles I have run without pain on my Achilles Tendons. The custom made insoles support my arc of the foot and turn the foot outward in a way that the Achilles Tendon is aligned straight when I run. My insoles are made at Sporthesis, a biodynamics solutions company in Buenos Aires. They use Footscan system that analyzes the mechanics of your feet when walking and running. Based on your stride they make you personalized insoles. The perfect insole for everyone is different and in time the feet will change as well. I am still looking for the perfect insole + shoe combination. My insoles have been modified various times when I have come across nuisances. For example I developed huge blisters on my feet when I was running Intervals or Tempo Run. That issue got taken care by making the insoles wider. I still get blisters on my feet, but I have come across with a trick for that: When I am going to run long or fast I cover my feet on vaseline before I put the socks on. Works like a charm. In the newest version of my insoles I have also a 5 mm support under my left heel to compensate 1 cm difference in the length of my legs.
Figure 3: Orthotics. Custom made insoles.


Take Care of your Feet

The cold water baths that I take after running is not only to treat my ankles, Achilles Tendons, calves, or to prevent Shin Splints. The cold water baths take care of my feet as well. I think cold bath is better than icing. I use icing for hamstrings etc. parts of my body that are not accessible for cold water treatment in my bath tub. When running in nature one of the best things to do is when you finish your run to go stand in a lake or river and let the nature heal you. Using frequent cold baths has also decreased my need for anti-inflammatory medicine, like ibuprofen. Cold water is the nature's own anti-inflammatory. Another thing is to keep the nails short, and please do! I know many of you runners and non-runners don't!! A distance runner's feet are a bit disgusting (sometimes even disturbing) even if you do clip the nails frequently. There is no need to get banned from public swimming pools. Blisters are also very problematic for some people. But since I have been using vaseline when running long or hard I have not suffered from blisters anymore. That is one trick really worth a try. Oh, and another cool trick (heard from a pro) is to use clean socks every time you run. Runner's feet have a hard time, so the least you can do is to treat them well when you are not running. Talk to them as you put cream on them. If you don't believe me ask Lieutenant Dan: "Change socks every time we stop or the Mekong will eat your feet."

1 comment:

  1. Great post! congratulations for finishing UNICEF 10k.

    ReplyDelete